The RTC Washoe Lyft or Uber Rides is a subsidized Lyft or Uber rides voucher program of the Regional Transportation Commission (RTC) and funded by the ¼% of Washoe County sales tax allocated for public transportation. This program and the subsidy are subject to available funding and may be changed or terminated by the RTC at any time. The RTC Washoe Lyft or Uber Rides Voucher Program provides alternative, reliable, and affordable transportation to Washoe County residents 60 years and older, RTC ACCESS clients (any age), and Washoe County Veterans (any age).
Each month registered participants will receive a $60 Lyft or Uber Voucher subsidy, which can be used to pay any part of a Lyft or Uber ride. The Lyft or Uber voucher subsidy automatically loads each month for the duration of the program, and unused Lyft or Uber voucher do not roll over to the next month. If your Lyft or Uber fare is over $60, the remaining balance will be automatically charged to the user’s debit or credit card on file on their Lyft or Uber account.
PLEASE NOTE: THE RTC WASHOE Lyft or Uber RIDES PROGRAM CANNOT BE INTERCHANGEABLE AND/OR CANNOT BE USED IN CONJUNCTION WITH THE RTC WASHOE SENIOR RIDE TAXI BUCKS PROGRAM.
PROGRAM GUIDELINES AND POLICIES
- Eligible rides can be taken 24/7/365.
- Subsidy will apply only to Lyft or UberX trips.
- Eligible trips must start AND end in the Reno-Sparks area. Trips that begin or end outside of the service area below are not eligible for subsidy.
- The RTC Lyft or Uber Rides Voucher cannot be used to tip the driver.
- No refunds for unused RTC Lyft or Uber Rides Voucher.
- RTC Lyft or Uber Rides Voucher may only be used by the registered participants and cannot be given or sold to someone else.
- RTC Lyft or Uber Rides Voucher is non-transferable, non-negotiable and non-refundable.
- Anyone abusing the program will be barred from participating in the program permanently.
- Users are responsible for scheduling, changing, and canceling Lyft or Uber trip reservations.
- RTC reserves the right to limit RTC Lyft or Uber Rides Voucher Fare Value subsidy based on availability.
- This program and the subsidy are subject to change or termination at any time.
What users need to get started?
- A smartphone with access to the internet
- An active Lyft or Uber account
- A valid debit or credit card on file on your Lyft or Uber account
How to enroll in the program:
Participants will need to complete and sign the registration and agreement form.
Program Eligibility: To qualify for the program, you must reside in Washoe County (Reno or Sparks) Nevada, and meet one of the following requirements:
- 60 years or older
- RTC ACCESS clients provide a copy of their current ACCESS ID card.
- Veterans need to provide a copy of a current Veteran ID card
Residency: All participants must be Washoe County residents. To provide your residency, you must provide a copy if a valid Nevada ID issued by the Nevada Department of Motor Vehicles that display a Reno or Sparks, Nevada address.
Submit the completed forms and required documents by:
Mail: Regional Transportation Commission, 1105 Terminal Way, Reno, NV 89502
Once the applicant has been enrolled, they will receive a text with instructions on how to claim their Lyft or Uber voucher.
How to take your first trip:
After successfully enrolling and accepting your voucher, you are ready to take your first ride. To request a ride, riders open the App, enter the target destination, and the app automatically sets a pickup location using GPS. After setting the destination and pickup location, press the “Request” button at the bottom of the screen and are subsequently matched with a nearby driver who accepts the ride request. If the trip is covered by the voucher, the discount will appear above the “confirm” button.
In addition, you’ll also know:
- Estimated time of your driver’s arrival.
- Type of car to expect, including color, license plate number, and picture of your driver!
- The estimated cost of your discounted ride as a RTC Washoe-Lyft or Uber customer.
- You will receive a text message when your driver arrives.
NOTE: Lyft and Uber provide “curb-to-curb” service so you will be required to be ready at your pickup location.
How to pay for the portion of trips RTC Washoe does not cover?
You do not need cash or physical tickets to ride with Lyft or Uber. Your credit or debit card on file will automatically be billed the appropriate discounted rate.
Tipping is optional. You can tip your driver right on your Lyft or Uber app, with the tip amount being charged to your form of payment on file with your account. The RTC Lyft or Uber fare value cannot be used to tip the driver.
How are Lyft or Uber fares calculated?
For eligible rides taken through this program, the fare you pay will be the total fare minus the subsidy of the applied voucher. Fares for trips on Lyft or Uber are calculated as follows: the upfront price is calculated using the base rate, plus the per-minute rate and/or per-mile rate. It may be adjusted due to marketplace factors, promotions, and/or other discounts, and includes applicable taxes, fees, surcharges and estimated tolls.
Fares shown when scheduling your ride are approximations and may change based on factors including wait times, etc.